Facebook has redesigned the user interface (UI) of the messenger app. They have removed the log out button in its current design.
It is crazy. I know.
I visited this app’s reviews section in the App Store. Unsurprisingly, it was flooded with raging negative reviews. There were plenty of people begging for a log out feature. Did you submit a request for that feature, too? I did.
Facebook has gone too aggressive in keeping us logged in the app. It is upsetting. Now let me help you remedy your frustration. Get ready to jump into the rabbit hole.
Note: If you are reading this article way beyond the publishing date ( Updated on 8/2017 ), this may no longer work as Facebook may have changed the UI again. Still, give these methods a try first before leaving.
Facebook recommends that you delete the app and re-install it and disconnect. It’s time consuming. You are smart and you don’t have to do it that way.
>> If you use android device, please see this article: Logout of Facebook Messenger on Android
How to log out from Messenger App for iOS
Using Main Facebook App
- Launch the main Facebook app
- Tap the menu bar for More
- Scroll down until you find Settings. Tap it.
- Then tap Account Settings
- Next, tap Security and Login
- Here, you’ll see a list of the devices you’ve been signed in to.
- Find the entry that lists these: Messenger, iPhone. Then click More button, tap the Log out button to end its session.
And you’re done. You can now let a different user log in to the app.
Finally: You don’t have to uninstall/reinstall Facebook Messenger on your iPhone. You can either log out within the chat app or end the active session at the main Facebook app.